Almost Timely News: Practical Use Case and Examples of Generative AI (2022-12-11) :: View in Browser
Watch This Newsletter On YouTube 📺
What’s On My Mind: Practical Use Case and Examples of Generative AI
We’ve all been abuzz this year about the power and potential of generative AI – AI that creates stuff for us. From DALL-E and Stable Diffusion creating award-winning artwork to ChatGPT answering questions and building content, we’ve seen no shortage of mind-blowing demonstrations about the capabilities of AI.
And yet… at the end of the day, an awful lot of people see these, think they’re amazing party tricks… and don’t know what to do with the technology. Therein lies the great challenge of AI. It’s so powerful and so new that people are having a hard time wrapping their brains around what the technology makes possible in practical, sensible ways. So today, let’s look at a couple of very practical use cases that you can implement immediately at very low or no cost. The tools I’ll be using are OpenAI’s GPT-3 Playground, and GoCharlie.ai.
Use Case 1: A/B Testing
Here’s a snapshot of my Public Speaking page, where I try to convince people to hire me as a public speaker. Almost all of us feel… well, a little awkward writing sales copy to convince others to hire us.
Wouldn’t it be great to get someone or something else to do that? Enter AI. Using the OpenAI GPT-3 Playground, I gave the AI some parameters as a prompt:
Write a public speaking landing page designed to convince the reader to hire Christopher Penn as a keynote speaker at their event. Incorporate the following facts:
- Christopher Penn is a 5-year, 5-time IBM Champion with expertise in data and artificial intelligence
- Christopher Penn is an internationally sought after marketing keynote speaker
- Christopher Penn is a Google Certified Professional in Google Analytics 4 and other Google Marketing Platform technologies
- Christopher Penn is a bestselling author of “AI for Marketers”, “Leading Innovation”, and a dozen other books.
- Include a testimonial from sales leader Jerry Acuff: “If you need a marketing keynote speaker, you better call Christopher Penn”
- Focus on Christopher Penn’s ability to teach audiences practical takeaways and proven strategies in marketing, AI, data science, and analytics
- Focus on Christopher Penn’s ability to help event planners get rave reviews for their events from attendees
Write the landing page copy in 750 words in a warm, professional tone in the first person from Christopher Penn:
This is a fairly straightforward prompt that gives the software a lot to work with, a lot of details it can incorporate. Let’s see what it spits out:
Welcome! My name is Christopher Penn, and I’m an internationally sought-after marketing keynote speaker.
I’m a 5-year, 5-time IBM Champion with expertise in data and artificial intelligence. I’m also a Google Certified Professional in Google Analytics 4 and other Google Marketing Platform technologies. I’ve written bestselling books like “AI for Marketers”, “Leading Innovation”, and a dozen other books.
If you’re looking for a keynote speaker for your next event, you’ve come to the right place. As a professional speaker, I specialize in helping event planners get rave reviews from attendees. I’m passionate about teaching audiences practical takeaways and proven strategies in marketing, AI, data science, and analytics.
I have a proven track record of helping my clients succeed. In fact, sales leader Jerry Acuff recently said, “If you need a marketing keynote speaker, you better call Christopher Penn.” I’m confident that I can bring the same success to your next event.
If you hire me as a keynote speaker, I will help you make your event a success. I’ll provide attendees with a valuable experience that they’ll remember and talk about for years to come. My message will be tailored to fit your audience’s interests and needs.
I’m experienced in speaking at conferences, conventions, seminars, and other events. I’m comfortable speaking to both large and small audiences. I’m also available to do virtual speaking engagements.
My goal is to make sure your event is a success. I will work with you to ensure that you get the results you’re looking for. I’m committed to providing valuable insights and strategies that your audience can use to improve their business and personal lives.
If you’re looking for a keynote speaker who can provide a memorable and powerful experience, I’m your person. Please contact me today to discuss how I can help make your event a success.
I can tell you for a fact I would not have written the copy for the page like this. But you know what? My opinion doesn’t matter. What matters is whether this delivers results. After fact-checking and final human approval, it’s ready for use. Now what? Now in a tool like Google Optimize, I add this landing page copy as the variant, as the test condition, with the existing copy as the control.
That’s a practical, useful application of the technology – to write copy we might not otherwise write, and then test it to see how it performs versus our own copy.
Use Case #2: Transformation
We’ve spent the last 5 years pivoting our content creation to other formats, especially video. I’ve argued for the use of video since smartphones became affordable primary video cameras, capable of shooting “good enough” video; there’s no excuse any longer for marketers not to be creating video.
However, just because something starts out as video doesn’t mean it should stay as video. Now, with AI tools, we can transform our video back into text. Take this fireside chat I did with my friend Jay Baer. It’s a terrific video; Jay had a lot to share, a lot of useful information. However, that information is locked in video format.
So let’s take it and stuff the video into GoCharlie.ai‘s content repurposing engine:
What does it spit out?
Look at that beauty. A bulleted list of key points from the video, automatically split into different logical sections. I can take that, pair it with the transcription, and I’ve got fantastic content for a landing page. Or I can rewrite it into different formats.
Think about that for a second. Have you been on a podcast or a livestream, and that content is just sitting locked away in a rich media format? Use a tool like this to extract that and get the content back on your website in a more accessible way.
These two use cases are practical, doable today with relatively low cost tools.
FTC Disclosure: My company, Trust Insights, is an affiliate of GoCharlie, and thus I indirectly benefit financially if you do business with them.
Got a Question? Hit Reply
I do actually read the replies.
Share With a Friend or Colleague
If you enjoy this newsletter and want to share it with a friend/colleague, please do. Send this URL to your friend/colleague:
The 12 Days of Data
Every year, I put together the 12 Days of Data, a look back at the year that was. We’re underway now, so keep checking in each day in December for what’s new!
- 12 Days of Data 2022 Day 1: Private Social Media Networks
- 12 Days of Data 2022 Day 2: Instagram for Brands
- 12 Days of Data 2022 Day 3: Instagram for Influencers
- 12 Days of Data 2022 Day 4: Content Republishing
- 12 Days of Data 2022 Day 5: Top News of 2022
- 12 Days of Data 2022 Day 6: Press Release Statistics
- 12 Days of Data 2022 Day 7: Most (Over)used Words in Press Releases
Skill Up With Classes
These are just a few of the classes I have available over at the Trust Insights website that you can take.
- Empower Your Marketing With Private Social Media Communities
- Exploratory Data Analysis: The Missing Ingredient for AI
- How AI is Changing Marketing, 2022 Edition
- How to Prove Social Media ROI
- Proving Social Media ROI
- Paradise by the Analytics Dashboard Light: How to Create Impactful Dashboards and Reports
Get Back to Work
Folks who post jobs in the free Analytics for Marketers Slack community may have those jobs shared here, too. If you’re looking for work, check out these five most recent open positions, and check out the Slack group for the comprehensive list.
- (Senior) Marketing Business Analyst at Refurbed
- Digital Analytics Engineer at Western Governors University
- Director Of People Operations at Luxury Presence
- Director, Algorithm Products at PathAI
- Human Resources Director at Digital Prospectors
- Lead Data Engineer at Royal Caribbean Group
- Senior Analytics Engineer at Velir
- Senior Manager, Digital Analytics at Harnham
- Senior Marketing Analytics Manager at Chewy
- Web Analytics Manager at Base Creative
Advertisement: 2023 Marketing Planning Guide
Are you looking for a way to move important campaigns out of weeks when people won’t be around? Look no further than TrustInsights.ai’s new edition of The Data-Driven Marketer’s Essential Planning Guide for 2023. This quarter-by-quarter, week-by-week planning guide will help you build your 2023 marketing calendar around when people are in the office or not, based on rating each week whether that’s a good week for a big campaign, neutral week, or bad week.
So whether you’re looking to add budget or resources to weeks when people will be around and paying attention, or simply want to move important campaigns out of weeks where they won’t be effective, The Data-Driven Marketer’s Essential Planning Guide is perfect for you. Don’t miss your chance to get it free for a limited time!
What I’m Reading: Your Stuff
Let’s look at the most interesting content from around the web on topics you care about, some of which you might have even written.
Social Media Marketing
- How to Launch a Brand on TikTok: A Guide for CMOs
- New Report Shows That Young Users are Increasingly Turning to TikTok for News Content via Social Media Today
- The deep inequalities of Facebooks secretive cross-check moderation program via The Verge
Media and Content
- 4 tips for optimizing your on-page SEO PR success via Agility PR Solutions
- 10 Types of Content Marketing to Triple Your Sales In 2023
- How to Maintain Winning Marketing During Economic Adversity via Spin Sucks
SEO, Google, and Paid Media
- How do you hire an SEO manager? via Search Engine Watch
- Feature Page SEO For SaaS: Non-Branded Keywords For Organic Traffic
- How Google’s Helpful Content Update Affected News SEO Globally
Advertisement: Google Analytics 4 for Marketers
Are you looking to get up to speed with Google Analytics 4? Look no further than the Trust Insights Google Analytics 4 For Marketers Course! This comprehensive training solution is designed for marketers specifically, with more than 5 hours of content across 17 lessons, plus templates, spreadsheets, transcripts, and certificates of completion.
With this course, you’ll learn how Google Tag Manager and Google Data Studio form the essential companion pieces to Google Analytics 4, how to use them all together, how to determine if a migration was done correctly, and how to rearrange Google Analytics 4’s menus to be more sensible. So don’t hesitate – master Google Analytics 4 in ways no other course can teach you with the Trust Insights Google Analytics 4 For Marketers Course today!
Tools, Machine Learning, and AI
- An Introduction to Artificial Intelligence in Blogging
- Can Generative AI Write My Content
- Google brings machine learning to online spreadsheets with Simple ML for Sheets via VentureBeat
Analytics, Stats, and Data Science
- Report: Audit Industry Rising to the Data Analytics Challenge via insideBIGDATA
- LinkedIn Adds New Audience Analytics Tools, Including Follower Growth and Demographic Insights via Social Media Today
- XAI: Accuracy vs Interpretability for Credit-Related Models
All Things IBM
Dealer’s Choice : Random Stuff
- Digging into the GDELT Event schema – arpieb
- Disney Princesses explained: why aren’t Frozen’s Elsa and Anna official princesses? | GamesRadar+
- Best Mining specializations in WoW Dragonflight – Dot Esports
Advertisement: Ukraine 🇺🇦 Humanitarian Fund
Are you looking for a way to make a real difference in the world? Then join us in supporting Ukraine in their fight against the Russian invasion. Your donations will help the people of Ukraine rebuild their infrastructure, provide medical care for those in need, and restore electricity and running water to their homes.
Your generosity will be an invaluable source of aid to the people of Ukraine during this difficult time. With your help, we can make sure the people of Ukraine have access to the basic necessities of life, even in the face of adversity.
Help us show the world that Ukraine can survive – donate today and give Ukraine the support it needs to resist the Russian invasion.
How to Stay in Touch
Let’s make sure we’re connected in the places it suits you best. Here’s where you can find different content:
- My blog – daily videos, blog posts, and podcast episodes
- My YouTube channel – daily videos, conference talks, and all things video
- My company, Trust Insights – marketing analytics help
- My podcast, Marketing over Coffee – weekly episodes of what’s worth noting in marketing
- My second podcast, In-Ear Insights – the Trust Insights weekly podcast focused on data and analytics
- On Twitter – multiple daily updates of marketing news
- On LinkedIn – daily videos and news
- On Instagram – personal photos and travels
- My free Slack discussion forum, Analytics for Marketers – open conversations about marketing and analytics
Events with links have purchased sponsorships in this newsletter and as a result, I receive direct financial compensation for promoting them.
Advertisements in this newsletter have paid to be promoted, and as a result, I receive direct financial compensation for promoting them.
My company, Trust Insights, maintains business partnerships with companies including, but not limited to, IBM, Cisco Systems, Amazon, Talkwalker, MarketingProfs, MarketMuse, Agorapulse, Hubspot, Informa, Demandbase, The Marketing AI Institute, GoCharlie.ai and others. While links shared from partners are not explicit endorsements, nor do they directly financially benefit Trust Insights, a commercial relationship exists for which Trust Insights may receive indirect financial benefit, and thus I may receive indirect financial benefit from them as well.
Thanks for subscribing and reading this far. I appreciate it. As always, thank you for your support, your attention, and your kindness.
See you next week,
Christopher S. Penn
You might also enjoy:
- It's Okay to Not Be Okay Right Now
- Is Social Listening Useful?
- Almost Timely News, 17 October 2021: Content Creation Hacks, Vanity Metrics, NFTs
- How to Set Your Public Speaking Fee
- How To Start Your Public Speaking Career
Want to read more like this from Christopher Penn? Get updates here:
Get your copy of AI For Marketers