Michael asks, “Do you consider YouTube and/or Reddit to be a social media platform? Why?”
A social media platform, or a social network, is a content hub where the value is subject to Metcalfe’s network effect. If the value increases with every new user, then it’s a social network. By this definition, these are social networks. Metcalfe’s Law is the defining feature of social networks. If you adopt this definition of social media, then the number of social networks available to you are in the thousands, and business opportunities wait for you at every turn.
Can’t see anything? Watch it on YouTube here.
Listen to the audio here:
- Got a question for You Ask, I’ll Answer? Submit it here!
- Subscribe to my weekly newsletter for more useful marketing tips.
- Find older episodes of You Ask, I Answer on my YouTube channel.
- Need help with your company’s data and analytics? Let me know!
- Join my free Slack group for marketers interested in analytics!
What follows is an AI-generated transcript. The transcript may contain errors and is not a substitute for watching the video.