How do you start to lead in a world of bad leadership?
You begin with two simple, but courageous words:
We don’t control the nation, the Oval Office, the Congress, or even our state or town (unless you’re the elected official), no matter what party or person is currently in office. We can make our voices heard, but we have no control over them.
What do we control?
- We do control ourselves.
- We do control our families.
- We do control our neighborhoods.
- We do control our workplaces.
Change begins with not here.
- Discrimination? Not here.
- Hate? Not here.
- Racism? Not here.
- Sexism? Not here.
- Intolerance? Not here.
- Bigotry? Not here.
- Dishonesty? Not here.
You have the power to say "not here".
You have the power to create safe spaces, to create environments which foster the values you stand for.
You have the obligation, in your own domain, to countermand as much as possible what may happen outside your sphere of influence that runs contrary to your values.
Begin by defining what here means, and what you will not stand for. Then enforce it wherever you have authority to do so.
You might also enjoy:
- How to Start Your Public Speaking Career
- Six Types of Marketing Demand Generation
- What is Ethics in Marketing?
- Google Analytics 4 or Bust: Lessons from Google Marketing Live 2021
- Four Requirements of Great Marketing Data Visualization
Want to read more like this from Christopher Penn? Get updates here:
Get your copy of AI For Marketers