Almost Timely News, 6 March 2022: Power, Intro to Web3, Helping Ukraine (3/6) :: View in Browser
Watch This Newsletter On YouTube
What’s On My Mind: Power
One of the most common sentiments during the Russian invasion of Ukraine for the people on the outside goes a bit like this:
Is this accurate? Are we really powerless? In one sense, perhaps. Very few people have the ability to mobilize a nation’s military beyond national leaders, so our ability to directly intervene is low. A few folks with prior military experience are headed over to Ukraine to fight against the Russian military.
So, is that it? Are we really so powerless?
Of course not. But we’re led to believe so, in part because we’ve forgotten what power is. Power is like energy. It comes in two flavors – potential and kinetic. Potential energy is energy stored up. It’s potential not yet realized. Kinetic is energy in motion, unleashed, put to work. The same is true of our power as individuals. Most of the time, we’re not using ours. We’re not expressing ourselves, sharing our voice, doing, creating. Most of the time we’re more passive. We’re receiving, listening, consuming.
Think about your relationship with content. How much content do you create versus how much content you consume? We spend the vast majority of time consuming, of giving our attention – which is power itself – to someone else, instead of focusing our power on our own creations and inspiring other people with our creations. The act of creation is an act of expressing your power, of turning potential into action. Even just writing a single tweet is an act of expression, putting your power to work.
If you were suffering, and someone posted a message in support of you, how would that make you feel? Even if you didn’t know the person, even if you didn’t have a relationship with that person, just being seen, feeling seen can help. Don’t believe that? Imagine the same suffering, but feeling alone and abandoned.
The irony is that as marketers, we need people to express their power and yet we do such a poor job of encouraging it. What does every social media newsfeed algorithm weight heavily? Engagement. Likes. Shares. COMMENTS. When someone comments, they express themselves, they express their power at least a tiny little bit. We need that for our social media channels to work. We need people to switch from being passive consumers to active creators, even if the act of creation is little more than “LOL OK” on a post.
When you feel powerless in a situation – any situation – and you want that feeling to go away, create. Create something. Create anything. Write a song. Paint a canvas. Sing. Write a paragraph. Draw. Dance. Speak. Express yourself. Bring what’s inside your head out into the world in a tangible form so that other people can benefit from it, be it 5 people or 5 billion people. For people who are suffering, showing them that you see them, that you acknowledge them, that you fight for them in the best way you know how will help them at least a little. And as you become a better creator, you’ll attract an audience. Your self-expression will earn you the power of attention, of awareness, perhaps even some fans. And then you use that power to do even more good in the world.
All power begins with creation and self-expression. Take the time while you can to sharpen your skills and unleash that power within you.
Share With a Friend or Colleague
If you enjoy this newsletter and want to share it with a friend/colleague, please do. Send this URL to your friend/colleague:
ICYMI: In Case You Missed it
If I had to pick one thing for you to review this week, it would be the reminder that you can play an active role in the fight for Ukraine’s freedom.
Skill Up With Free Classes
These are just a few of the free classes I have available over at the Trust Insights website that you can take.
- Fundamentals of Marketing Analytics (new!)
- How to Think About Google Analytics 4 (new!)
- Proving Social Media ROI
- Paradise by the Analytics Dashboard Light: How to Create Impactful Dashboards and Reports
- How to Deliver More Value as an Agency
Get Back to Work!
Folks who post jobs in the free Analytics for Marketers Slack community may have those jobs shared here, too. If you’re looking for work, check out these five most recent open positions, and check out the Slack group for the comprehensive list.
- Growth Associate at Musicasa
- Customer Success Manager at Onalytica
- Digital Analytics Specialist at REA Group
- Events Marketing Manager at AKASA
- Content Marketing Manager at Plainsware
Advertisement: Inbox Insights Newsletter
If you enjoy this newsletter, you’ll also enjoy Inbox Insights, the Trust Insights newsletter. Every Wednesday, get new perspectives, fresh data you won’t find anywhere else, plus a roundup of content we’ve made for the week, like our podcast and our livestream.
What I’m Reading: Your Stuff
Let’s look at the most interesting content from around the web on topics you care about, some of which you might have even written.
Social Media Marketing
- Instagram says itll stop supporting the IGTV app via The Verge
- Social Media Demographics to Inform Your 2022 Strategy via Sprout Social
- New content analytics coming soon to LinkedIn
Media and Content
- How to Do a Content Audit in 2022
- Content via Four Ways to Give Your Podcast a Creative Boost [Infographic]
- How to fix your Gen Z marketing problem via PR Daily
SEO, Google, and Paid Media
- A Complete B2B SEO Strategy Guide for 2022
- Toxic links: Here’s why you can often ignore them
- March 2022 Google Webmaster Report: Page Experience, Pirates, Shopping & Penalties
Advertisement: Ukraine Humanitarian Fund
If you’d like to support humanitarian efforts in Ukraine, the National Bank of Ukraine has set up a fund specifically for relief efforts. You can donate using a Visa/Mastercard or Google Pay.
Tools, Machine Learning, and AI
- A Guide To Easily Acquire Backlinks And Rank On Google Using AI via Martech Zone
- Hybrid AI Will Go Mainstream in 2022 via KDnuggets
- Google AI Blog: Federated Learning with Formal Differential Privacy Guarantees
Analytics, Stats, and Data Science
- Basics of CNN in Deep Learning via Analytics Vidhya
- Dremio unveils ‘forever free’ tools for data lake analytics via SiliconANGLE
- Leading In SEO Through The Data Science Revolution: A CTO Q&A
Advertisement: B2B Marketing Analytics Webinar Replay
With the right analytics foundations, your B2B marketing will be set up for success.
Without them, you’re building a business on quicksand at best.
Join Trust Insights CEO Katie Robbert and me to set yourself up to win in this strategy-focused look at B2B digital marketing analytics.
At the end of this session, you will be able to…
- Create a B2B analytics strategy with Google Analytics
- Explain why things happened and use advanced attribution analysis
- Use predictive content marketing analytics for forecasting your B2B content calendar
- Use prescriptive content analysis to understand what content truly boosts conversion
Events I’ll Be At
Here’s where I’m speaking and attending. Say hi if you’re at an event also:
- MarketingProfs B2B Forum, April 2022, virtual
- MAICON, August 2022, Cleveland, OH
- MarketingProfs B2B Forum, October 2022, Boston Events marked with a physical location may become virtual if conditions and safety warrant it.
If you’re an event organizer, let me help your event shine. Visit my speaking page for more details.
Can’t be at an event? Stop by my private Slack group instead, Analytics for Marketers.
How to Stay in Touch
Let’s make sure we’re connected in the places it suits you best. Here’s where you can find different content:
- My blog – daily videos, blog posts, and podcast episodes
- My YouTube channel – daily videos, conference talks, and all things video
- My company, Trust Insights – marketing analytics help
- My podcast, Marketing over Coffee – weekly episodes of what’s worth noting in marketing
- My second podcast, In-Ear Insights – the Trust Insights weekly podcast focused on data and analytics
- On Twitter – multiple daily updates of marketing news
- On LinkedIn – daily videos and news
- On Instagram – personal photos and travels
- My free Slack discussion forum, Analytics for Marketers – open conversations about marketing and analytics
Events with links have purchased sponsorships in this newsletter and as a result, I receive direct financial compensation for promoting them.
Advertisements in this newsletter have paid to be promoted, and as a result, I receive direct financial compensation for promoting them.
My company, Trust Insights, maintains business partnerships with companies including, but not limited to, IBM, Cisco Systems, Amazon, Talkwalker, MarketingProfs, MarketMuse, Agorapulse, Hubspot, Informa, Demandbase, The Marketing AI Institute, and others. While links shared from partners are not explicit endorsements, nor do they directly financially benefit Trust Insights, a commercial relationship exists for which Trust Insights may receive indirect financial benefit, and thus I may receive indirect financial benefit from them as well.
Thanks for subscribing and reading this far. I appreciate it. As always, thank you for your support, your attention, and your kindness.
See you next week,
Christopher S. Penn
You might also enjoy:
- What Content Marketing Analytics Really Measures
- It's Okay to Not Be Okay Right Now
- Understand the Meaning of Metrics
- Is Social Listening Useful?
- The Basic Truth of Mental Health
Want to read more like this from Christopher Penn? Get updates here:
Get your copy of AI For Marketers