… I see people with no experience get jobs at the top agencies whereas I am struggling. For example, recently I got denied a job due to the fact that I wore a suit and the agency didn’t like that. Do you have an advice as to how I should approach interviews and present myself? “
The process of interviewing for a position is nothing short of a sales career with the most valuable product in the world to you : yourself.
Getting the job is about building a relationship and establishing trust
- The hiring manager is afraid of making a bad decision
- Like any purchase, we want to establish that the product is a good fit
- Visible truth
- Willingness to be bold
- Disclosing weaknesses truthfully
- Demonstrating equality and diversity of thought
- Alignment with company values
- Appropriate use of industry language
- Past results
- Endorsements and recommendations
Account for biases
- Social media profiles show appearances
- Conscious or not, it’s business Tinder
Good luck to you, Ishmael, and to everyone looking to land that next marketing job.
Want to read more like this from Christopher Penn? Get updates here:
Get your copy of Marketing Blue Belt!